born München, 31. May 1904
died Nürnberg, 07. May 1973
Stone sculptor, terracotta and other materials.
He grew up as an orphan with his grandparents (in great poverty) in Niederndorf/Obb.
After their death he worked as a surveyor and office assistant for the construction of a canal at the river Inn. At the end of 1924 he moved to his aunt in Nuremberg, where he completed an apprenticeship as a stone sculptor from 1924-26.
He took drawing lessons in evening classes at the School of Arts and Crafts and was admitted to this school in 1926 due to his special talent.
During his apprenticeship he worked as a stonemason at the Lorenzkirche in Nuremberg in 1926.
1926-30 Studied with Philipp Widmer, sculpture class at the Nuremberg School of Applied Arts, Flaschenhofstraße (from 1929 it was renamed the 'State School of Applied Arts')
1930-33 Studies at the AdBK Munich with Prof. Karl Killer, with scholarship.
1933-36 Studies again at the State School for Applied Arts Nuremberg,
master student under Philipp Widmer (already a sought-after portraitist).
From 1936 he worked as a freelance sculptor in Nuremberg. He became known mainly for his portraits, but also for his garden sculptures, architectural sculptures and sacral sculptures.
Drawing also plays an important role in his work.
Many of his works can be found in public spaces, mostly in and around Nuremberg.
An exhibition room in the artist's former home in Ziegelstein can be visited by appointment.
Info at: www.luis-rauschhuber.de
Period: 20th c.