1350 1358
West facade
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 07. Oct 2022, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
West facade in the morning light
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 01. Oct 2024, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
West facade from an elevated point of view
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 06. Nov 2009, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
Overall view from the northwest
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 31. Jul 2020, Theo Noll
1350 1358
colored ink drawing from the south side
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
drawing 2010, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
church volume from the southeast
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 16. Nov 2015, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
image comparison, on the left St Mary´s church in Mühlhausen
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photoPablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
Vestibule, main portal
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 12. Aug 2024, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
Porch, main portal. Tracery parapet: Imperial coat of arms in the center; to the right, Bohemia and the Palatinate; to the left, Mainz and Cologne
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 30. Jan 2011, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
Porch, north side with tracery parapet, coats of arms of Rome and Trier
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 16. Jun 2009, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
Porch; south side with traceried parapet, coats of arms of Brandenburg and Saxony
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 31. Oct 2010, Theo Noll
1350 1358
Vestibule: main portal, oblique view
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 21. Jul 2020, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
Corner pier of the porch with city patron saints, Sebald and Lorenz
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 31. Oct 2010, Theo Noll
1350 1358
Main portal, right register with St. Peter and St. Paul
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 31. Oct 2010, Theo Noll
1350 1358
Main portal, archivolt figures
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 31. Oct 2010, Theo Noll
1350 1358
Main portal, left archivolt detail
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 31. Oct 2010, Theo Noll
1350 1358
Main portal, left spandrel, Parler-style prophet figure
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 31. Oct 2010, Theo Noll
1350 1358
Main portal, northwest pier
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 31. Oct 2010, Theo Noll
1350 1358
South portal, openwork tympanum and archivolts
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 31. Oct 2010, Theo Noll
1350 1358
South portal, apex of the archivolts: St. Helena with the Cross
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 31. Oct 2010, Theo Noll
1350 1358
Porch, St. Michael’s Choir with the corbel for the *Männleinlaufen* (mechanical clock figures)
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 02. Apr 2012, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
Vestibule, St. Michael’s Choir, round arch with suspended blind arcade
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 01. Jul 2013, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
Image comparison: Prague Teyn Church, Frauenkirche, Sebaldus Tomb
photo
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
1350 1358
Vestibule, St. Michael’s Choir, gable by Adam Kraft
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 06. Jul 2007, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
stepped gable
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 23. Sep 2010, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
Stepped gable, row of pinnacles
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 31. Oct 2010, Theo Noll
1350 1358
small gable turrets
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 04. Sep 2013, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
Vestibule, inner portal
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 04. Jul 2024, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
Vestibule, vaulting viewed from the northeast
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 19. May 2024, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
Vestibule, vaults with their openwork tympana and figured ribs
photo 12. Aug 2024, Pablo de la Riestra
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
1350 1358
Vestibule, portal surround, and niche wall area
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 18. May 2024, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
vestibule, figures from the left portal jamb
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 18. May 2024, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
interior towads the east
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 13. May 2024, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
interior towards the northwest
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 13. May 2024, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
interior towards the south
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 13. May 2024, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
interior towards the north
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 13. May 2024, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
Choir with pendant tracery rosettes
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 22. Oct 2021, Theo Noll
1350 1358
View along the choir axis
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 12. Aug 2024, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
choir towards the northeast
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 13. May 2024, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
Sacristy extension from the southeast
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 07. Sep 2023, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
Sacristy extension from the south. Note the return of the round arch, typical of the final phase of Gothic architecture in Nuremberg.
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 04. Sep 2013, Pablo de la Riestra
1350 1358
Sacristy, net vault. Reflecting its later date of construction, no rib vaults were used here.
Plans for the Frauenkirche as an "Imperial Chapel" commissioned by Charles IV date back to 1350; its consecration took place eight years later. The building stands on the site of a synagogue that had been demolished shortly before and is conceived as part of the expansive layout of a main market square. Its public function is revealed by the façade, designed as a showpiece that concentrates the building's full decorative and iconographic richness. Judging by an engraving by Boener, the gable—articulated with niches—originally featured sculptures.
The master builder is not documented in the records. It was likely Peter Parler from Schwäbisch Gmünd; not only the architectural sculpture but also the cubic volume of the building point to the Parlers' new sense of form—essentially a cube set on a square footprint. Nevertheless, the interior space is clearly oriented towards the east, an alignment reinforced by the depth of the choir and the projecting porch. It is worth noting, however, that the chapel at the Imperial Castle already exhibited this core square layout during the Romanesque period. The church’s function was the safekeeping and display of the imperial relics—the Imperial Regalia themselves were not moved to the Holy Spirit Hospital until the 15th century, under Sigismund.
Strikingly, this sacred building employs the secular form of the stepped gable—revealing an affinity with the Parlers' work at the Marienkirche in Mühlhausen, which also features a balcony!
(see Figure 7)
As a state building, the Frauenkirche bears the coats of arms of the Empire, the Electors, and the city of Rome—the latter representing the site of the Emperor's coronation (at that time).
Above the porch lies the so-called St. Michael’s Choir; with its polygonal shape, it functions as a western choir—an imperial feature derived from Aachen.
Prof. Dr. Pablo de la Riestra, June 2026
Location: Nuremberg, Hauptmarkt (Main Market Square), east side
photo 18. Feb 2008, Pablo de la Riestra
Please let us know your opinion about our website, the museum, our idea or any other evaluation. We shall be please about any comments and suggestions..