draftsman, historical painter, illustrator,

born München, 10. Sep 1840

died München, 07. Oct 1910

Son of Georg Wilhelm. Pupil at the Nuremberg school of arts and crafts under August von Kreling. Study trips to France, Austria and Italy. 1863 teacher, 1866 professor for commercial drawing at the Nuremberg school of arts and crafts. After the death of August von Kreling and Adolf Gnauth he was the leading artist in Nuremberg, who also had a rich knowledge of art history. Around 1880 he carried out a partial refurnishing of the Albrecht Dürer House, and from 1893 to 1901 he led the restoration of the Small Town Hall Hall. He created designs for stained glass windows and frescoes in Nuremberg churches and the castle, he designed room furnishings for the town hall and the great knights' hall of the castle, furthermore commemorative plaques, monuments, grave monuments and fountains as well as numerous vignettes, frames, ornaments, also for addresses and documents. In 1868 he wrote the work "Adam Kraft and his School". In 1908 he was the winner of a competition to design the 100-mark note. In 1870 he lived at Webersplatz 5, in 1873/81 at Brunnengäßchen 11. In 1888 he was made an honorary citizen of the city of Nuremberg. In 1878 he was co-founder of the Society for the History of the City of Nuremberg, in 1903 honorary member of the Artists' Association, member of the Künstlerklause. Wanderer Street was named after him. His portrait, painted by Carl Fleischmann, is in the possession of the MStN.(...)

(quoted from the Nuremberg Künstlerlexikon, edited by Manfred H. Grieb)


Period: 19th c.