born Dresden, 29. Jan 1902
died Nürnberg, 01. Aug 1991
From 1917 to 1922 he attended courses at the Open Drawing Art Room Nuremberg, from 1922 to 1926 he studied at the Academy of Fine Arts Munich under the direction of Carl von Marr, Franz von Stuck and Max Mayerhofer. From 1926 on he worked as a freelance painter in Nuremberg. He was drafted into the military service in 1941. From 1947 to 1967 he worked as a teacher for drawing at the Graphic College in Nuremberg. He left behind a considerable graphic oeuvre which comprises portraits, nudes, still life paintings, numerous Franconian landscapes and Nuremberg city views. Over decades he cultivated an expressive styl coined by impressionist influences, which made his works unmistakable. He worked in oil, tempera, chalk and watercolor. Apart from that he produced numerous linocuts and wood cuts. He lived in Nuremberg, Kirschgartenstraße 21 for many decades and was a member of the Artists´ Group “Die Hütte” (“The Hut”).
From / Nürnberger Künstlerlexikon / ed. by Manfred H. Grieb
Period: 20th c.